The goal of the Department of Education (DOE) is to provide students identified as English Language Learners (ELLs) with adequate, appropriate and equitable education.
PROGRAM TYPES AVAILABLE
The program types available at Adacao are Sheltered, Consultation, Push-In and Follow-Up.
- Sheltered Program: Reading, writing and language are taught in the ESL classroom where appropriate modifications are made to the regular curriculum.
- Consultation: This program facilitates communication and provides opportunity for collaboration between the ESL Teacher and the regular classroom teacher(s).
- Push-In: This is a dedicated time where the ESL Teachers offer assistance to the ESL students, so that they can do the same work that their regular classmates are doing, or a modified version of it.
- Follow-up: Designated for students with a parental waiver or students who have met all criteria for exiting the ESL Program.
A student who meets the following criteria is identified as an ELL and is thereby entitled to ESL Services:
- comes from a home environment where a language other than English is spoken, and
- scores at a non-proficient level on an English Language Proficiency Assessment (3 or below on the LAS LINKS or NP or AP on LAS Placement).
- Reading: Students learn phonics, phonemic awareness, comprehension strategies and skills, vocabulary and fluency to help build literacy skills.
- Language: Students learn complete sentences, parts of speech, spelling and sight words. Students are participate in discussions with their partner, their groups and the whole class to help develop proficient speaking and listening skills.
- Writing: Students produce and publish their original writing through the writing process of Pre-Writing, Drafting, Editing and/or Revising and Publishing.
our monthly newsletter
ABOUT THE TEACHERS
Mrs. Roong Taitano is the Primary ESL Teacher at Adacao Elementary School. She has been teaching with the Guam Department of Education for seven years. She has been at Adacao Elementary School for four years. This is her first year as an ESL Teacher. She has graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood/ Elementary Education and a Masters of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages at the University of Guam.
Miss Analyn Palugod is the Intermediate ESL Teacher at AES. She has been teaching with the Guam Department of Education for ten years. She has been at Adacao Elementary School for four years. This is her third year as an ESL Teacher. She has graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education at the University of Guam and a Masters of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages at the University of Southern California.